Lungworm is a parasite that you may have heard about in recent years that can affect dogs.
Until recently we were pleased to be able to say that it was not one we had encountered locally. However a dog that lives in Brantham has recently been very ill and it is believed that this was a complication of having ingested this parasite. We would add that this particular dog had recently travelled outside of the area and it is impossible to say whether the dog came across Lungworm locally or not.
Dogs can become infected as a result of eating SNAILS or SLUGS containing the Lungworm parasite, it cannot be spread directly from dog to dog. If you are concerned that your dog could eat slugs or snails please discuss prevention strategies and testing with your vet.